Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Ms. Scarlett, in the broom closet, with the radio"

I first saw this picture at the nursing home that I worked at in high school. I remember the exact moment. I was on wing 2, and this particular day had taken a resident from wing 4 back to their room from dinner, passing through wing 3. On the way back I noticed this picture hanging in their "common room" and I loved it instantly. I don't know what grabs me so fully about this picture...Maybe it's because I want the kind of serene peacefulness that this suggests. Am I crazy to think that this picture is so calm and simple and ( dare I say....everyday) that that is what it makes it beautiful. Maybe it's because people don't really "porch-sit" anymore. Everyone is too busy to settle down and appreciate the simple things. It kinda reminds me of Pres. Uchdorfs talk, particularly the part about "Forget not to be happy now". Maybe I could rewrite it to be, "Forget not to relax and sit on a porch." I remember making excuses during particularly difficult days as a CNA to take trips through wing 3 so I could see this. Which is funny, I couldn't wait to get out of there, and besides the coworkers, this is the one thing that I miss. Being able to walk 50 feet and see this masterpiece. Kinda pathetic that I'm writing a blog just based on a single photograph? Ha maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment